Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry 2013

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Looking thru Munster gaa website and it looks like there will be an epic weekend in killarney first weekend of July 2013. The ring of Kerry cycle and the Munster football final on the same weekend( provided cork & kerry qualify) . Hotels are already looking for crazy prices. A weekend of weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Not the first time this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Not sure but the ROK is massive now and it be a disaster for Killarney as they have 2 sell out weekends in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This happened Last year(2011) as well. We booked hotel rooms for the RoK a few weeks ago and got decent prices, didn't realise the gaa was on the same weekend :D So first weekend, Killarney next july, RoK, Munster final, weddings galore and tourists everywhere. Mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Booked last night for 2 nights, good enough price but some hotels were ridiculous prices. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

So it is a sure bet that the cycle is on 6th July 2013?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

BailMeOut wrote: »
    So it is a sure bet that the cycle is on 6th July 2013?

It's always first Saturday in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 davidconroy60

im 16 and i am going to be doing the ring of kerry cycle in july and would like to know how ye found it and if yo have any tips

Biggest cycle of the year, more of a fun day out than a serious cycle and once you prepare properly the easiest. Plenty of info on their site, the training schedule is particularly useful.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're not already cycling, then start this weekend. Make an effort to get out as many weekends as you can.

Start out at doing 20km, then increase the distance by 5km each time till you're doing 50km. Then increase the distance by 10km each time.

Take an easy spin every four weekends to give your body a break. E.g. your first month should be 20k, 25k, 30k, 20k, etc...

Once you can do 100km on the bike, throw in a few hills. Once you've done a hilly 100km or two you should be fine on the day.

You can of course do the full distance in training, but its not necessary.

You can also go and do it with minimal training, but round about km 80 you will start to wish you were dead and won't enjoy the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

What month is the RoKC usually in? I have the LC this year so I need a cycle after early July.

EDIT: nevermind, July 6th. Well, time to cross that one off the list as well lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

How much does it cost to do the RoKC? Or is the idea just to raise money individually? Havnt done this one before, but definitely interested to join with few mates and give it a go. How are the roads and assume the route will not be flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

How much does it cost to do the RoKC? Or is the idea just to raise money individually? Havnt done this one before, but definitely interested to join with few mates and give it a go. How are the roads and assume the route will not be flat?

Last year you raised money or they asked for €50. That could change given the issues they had last year(See their facebook page)

Road wise it isn't too bad. All main roads last year it was a bit rough after Sneem but thats it. I'm not from the area so locals could give you a more up to date viewpoint.

The route is fairly flat. There are two long drags Coomaskista(Spelling?) and Molls gap. Molls gaps is the hardest as it come near the end. But to be honest in comparison to many of the other leisure events at that go a similar distance for example the An Post 160km cycles its fairly easy.

The other factor is the amount of people on the road which is unlike any other cycle in Ireland you'll do. Means there's a great atmosphere and that makes a massive difference.

On a more general note for anyone doing it it would be a big help if people are comfortable cycling in groups. The biggest leisure cycle in the country isn't exactly the best place to start learning given that their can be up to 10,000 plus on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Last year fee was 50 euro. All for charity (mostly local Kerry ones) and you can raise/contribute more if you want.
    Road surface is mostly very smooth / good for cycling. Only two real climbs, the second one being Molls gap - nice steady climb, and a beautiful descent from it on closed road. For a cycle of this length, its hard to find an easier event. Did it for first time last year & really enjoyed it - great atmosphere, good weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Six months from today and counting, no panic but any newbies would need to be clocking up a few miles each week, you'll enjoy the day so much more if you have the miles in the legs.
    There was no charge for entering last year it was all fundraised and sponsorship based. This year might be different, problems collecting all of the proceeds may result in an entrance fee plus what you can fundraise.
    As for the route well here it is.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/109763

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Sounds great, looking forward for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Sikpupi

I'm 'hearing on the ground' that there will be an 'Entry Fee' this year if you are going through the official ROKC website / booking. I dont want to start rumours but could be €100 per cyclist.

However - if you going through one of the appointed Charities - there will be no fee but I suppose you will bring as much to the table as you can collect. The Charities will also be able to monitor their own riders vis-av-vis monies collected.

I can't believe that I heard recently (again this could only be rumour ) ... that there was at least 1,500 of the 8,200 participants last year that contributed NIL / Zilch / Big Fat Zero to the event. What a disgrace .... hopefully this 'fee structure' will ensure that there will be no free loaders this year. Rant over

Sikpupi wrote: »
    I'm 'hearing on the ground' that there will be an 'Entry Fee' this year if you are going through the official ROKC website / booking. I dont want to start rumours but could be €100 per cyclist.

However - if you going through one of the appointed Charities - there will be no fee but I suppose you will bring as much to the table as you can collect. The Charities will also be able to monitor their own riders vis-av-vis monies collected.

I can't believe that I heard recently (again this could only be rumour ) ... that there was at least 1,500 of the 8,200 participants last year that contributed NIL / Zilch / Big Fat Zero to the event. What a disgrace .... hopefully this 'fee structure' will ensure that there will be no free loaders this year. Rant over

Yes i would believe that figure, sadly as these are public roads then there is not much the organizing commitee can do about it.
    They can't gain access to the official foodstops but the garages on the day do a roaring trade. Unfortunately the RoK is a victim of it's own success.
    Last year to further help the fundraising efforts they introduced the official RoK jersey, which was very popular, it wouldn't surprise me if a 2013 edition is produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am surprised that the figure for non-contributory cyclists is so high but in the past I have had issues with the cycle.

One year I raised a five figure sum for a particular charity. I had proof that all funds were paid - despite that I received about three emails demanding monies be turned over.

The following year I raised a four figure sum of money and the same issue occurred.

There are undoubtedly free loaders but could some of this be down to poor admin?

In terms of the cycle, I think participants should remember that this is most definitely NOT a sportif. It is a charity cycle.

The organisation do not really want the sportif rider (competitive cyclists in a non competitive event :-) ).
    They want folks that will raise a chunk of change for charity and enjoy the event.

In terms of training - if one can aim to do say 120km on a lumpy route by June then that is adequate preparation for the ROK cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I'd probably fall into the 1500 as I handed over my cash (€250 or so) to the charity as one of the organisers for build for life lives down the road. I should have registered with them though for the cycle as opposed to registering online officially so the admin cock up was on my part. I'd say a lot of the 1500 fall into that.
    As for the training, I'd say it will be March before I start structured training for this, but from here to then I'll get out once or twice a week, keep an eye on the weight and play a bit of five a side.
    Lovely day out, we took nine hours last year as we were ages in the food stops and just took it handy. We were ages cause we met so many people we knew, we took our time on the route and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the atmosphere. The best thing was that our legs had plenty left in them for Molls gap and I ended up powering up it much to the dismay of a lot of people I passed. I wasn't trying to show off, I just wanted but push myself hard for a bit after coasting for hours.
    Great day out. I'm going to register in Feb this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 10,000 and get capped. Enjoy and stay safe if training in poor conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

ROK ON wrote: »
    I am surprised that the figure for non-contributory cyclists is so high but in the past I have had issues with the cycle.

One year I raised a five figure sum for a particular charity. I had proof that all funds were paid - despite that I received about three emails demanding monies be turned over.

The following year I raised a four figure sum of money and the same issue occurred.

There are undoubtedly free loaders but could some of this be down to poor admin?

I have to agree with this. I also received emails last year requesting me to pay when I had already paid and had a receipt to prove it. No doubt some people paid nothing, however I am certain that the 1500 number is an overestimate (likely a large one) and I'm a bit disturbed to hear that they are still using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

This years nominated charities have been named:

- Cúnamh Iveragh Residential Project for Special Needs
    - Down Syndrome Ireland (Kerry Branch)
    - Kerry Mountain Rescue Team
    - Kerry Rape & Sexual Abuse Centre
    - Pieta House Suicide Crisis Centre
    - Recovery Haven Cancer Support House
    - SouthWest Counselling Centre
    - The Irish Society for Autism

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Camping FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

mattress in the back of the landrover FTW :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

How long does it take to complete the cycle? 180Kms, would an average cyclist that does about 100Kms a week get it done in 9-10 hours? I am going to do it but wondering if i should drive back to Dublin after it or stay the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

burger1979 wrote: »
    How long does it take to complete the cycle? 180Kms, would an average cyclist that does about 100Kms a week get it done in 9-10 hours? I am going to do it but wondering if i should drive back to Dublin after it or stay the night.

We started at 7:30am and crossed finished line at exactly 5pm so 9 1/2 hours to complete. We calculated we stopped for well over 2 hours throughout the day at Cahercineen, Waterville, Beenarourke (top of first big pass), Sneem (long stop), Kenmare (for Barmbrack!) and top of Molls gap.

I drove home afterwards but my journey was only 100kms and that was enough for me. Not sure I could have made it from Killarney to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Go down night before and stay 2 nights
    Atmosphere is mighty
    It's not just the cycle,it's the whole weekend
    You won't regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Your doing 100km week throughout the year?
    Ramp up to 200-250km per year and you'll fly around.
    7 hrs pedalling is a grand pace, 6 would be very good
    take 9 or 10 if you want there will be plenty more doing those times.
    It is a very unusual event, great atmosphere, very friendly.

Had about 220km round trip myself last year, went up and down in same day, stayed for grub and chat for few hours and went out for drink when I got home. Long day alright, about 21hrs inlc drinks and hanging around after but enjoyed it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Camping FTW!

For folks seeking accommodation for the weekend, you should also consider Kenmare.
    Plenty of accommodation to suit all budgets with great bars and restaurants.

Every year hundreds of cyclists begin the ROK in Kenmare. You get Molls Gap out of the way at the start.
    Also consider starting at Molls Gap - I did this two years ago and would do it again. Killarney lacks a lot of athmosphere at the finish line, whereas Molls Gap is like a carnival from about midday till 8pm at night.

Having started in Kenmare/Molls gap for past few years I dont think I would ever again start in Killarney.

As regards how long it will take depends on the cyclists.
    Take your time and enjoy it.
    I have done it in 10hours and 5h45m and a few times in between. All were tremendously enjoyable.
    A
    Remarkable event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Thanks for all the replies folks. I am going to be upping the km's in the months leading up to it. I was just wondering if anyone had done it and then traveled quite a way to get home (ford2600 - 21 hours out of the whole day doesn't sound appealing to be honest). I would like to stay the whole weekend but like with everything else cost is an issue. ROK ON your suggestion of starting and finishing in different parts sounds good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement